- Collection name
- Collection ID #
- Biography note (if a personal or family collection)
- Historical note (if a corporation, organization or government entity)
Content Overview and Arrangement
- Scope and Content note: explains the types and condition of materials in the collection
- Date Range of materials
- Arrangement note: lists the series (section) numbers and names, and provides an overview of each
- Provenance/Custodial History: who donated the material and what happened to the material before it arrived in the Archive
- Processing note: describes what happened to the material since it arrived in the Archive
- Conditions Governing Use: copyright note
- Conditions Governing Access: restrictions to the collection, if any
- Citation note
- Points the researcher to other items in the archives or elsewhere that are closely related to the collection described in the finding aid.
- An inventory of the contents of the collection: can be listed by box, folder or item. By folder is the most common.