Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Generate Search Term Video
Generating Search Terms
This tutorial will help students generate effective search terms for internet or database searching.
CLIP video, length 4:54 minutes)
- You may find it helpful to keep a written list of search terms, which you can add to as you conduct research. This helps you keep track of what terms you have already checked, what worked or didn't work, and help visualize your search history.
- Pay special attention to titles, abstracts, and headings used in the results you find helpful.
- The more you search and learn about your topic, the easier it will be to generate search terms.
Techniques for Generating Search Terms
Whether you are searching the Internet or a database, generating effective search terms can save time, yield relevant results, and provide an opportunity to explore various perspectives on a specific topic. Generating search terms is a dynamic and iterative process. As you search, you may find it necessary to modify or add new search terms to your list.
Overview of the Search Process
Developing Search Terms
1. Examine your research question and identify the words that represent the main ideas. These "main idea" words can be your first search terms.
Research Question: “How do environmental protests impact deforestation?”
2. Generate synonyms, related ideas, and alternative forms for each main idea word.
- Synonyms: ecological, green, conservation
- Related ideas: watersheds, wildlife
- Forms: environment, environmentalists, environments
- Synonyms: activism, demonstrations, direct action
- Related ideas: legislation, Greenpeace, eco-terrorism
- Forms: protest, protesters, protesting
- Synonyms: logging, clear-cutting, forest management
- Related ideas: forest fires, old-growth, bio diversity
- Forms: deforesting, deforested, deforest