Gasworks Park (Seattle, Washington)
Gas Works Park was once a major synthetic gas manufacturing plant. Beginning in 1906, the structures on this plot of land produced a type of fuel extracted from coal, petroleum or other carbon-based materials—a major source of energy for residents throughout the city. By 1956, Seattle, along with the rest of the country, had moved on to alternative energy sources, so the plant was closed. But these structures had been releasing black smoke and pollutants into the land and water for years, so their impact on the area didn’t magically disappear overnight.