Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Oxford English Dictionary
Oxford English Dictionary
The online version of the classic dictionary. An unsurpassed guide to the meaning, history, and pronunciation of over half a million words, both present and past. It traces the usage of words through 2.5 million quotations from a wide range of international English language sources, from classic literature and specialist periodicals to film scripts and cook books.
Generate Search Term Video
Generating Search Terms
This tutorial will help students generate effective search terms for internet or database searching.
Using the Hatfield Library during the Covid 19 Pandemic
Reference / Getting Research Help:
Circulation / Checking Out Books, DVDs, etc.:
- All items removed from the shelves, returned, or ordered via ILL or Summit will be quarantined for 96 hours before being available.
- Contactless check out will remain available for those that request it in the front vestibule. You may access the vestibule with your valid ID 24 hours/day.
Building Policies for Fall Semester 2020:
- The maximum occupancy of the Hatfield Library is 100 people.
- Access is restricted to current students, faculty, and staff.
- Bring your ID card. A card swipe is required for access.
- Water fountains have been shut down until further notice.
- Closed container beverages are permitted.
- Eating is not allowed.
- Masks are required.
- Seating is marked to encourage 6 feet of social distancing.
Want more information about the new changes?
Grove Encyclopedias Online
Grove Music Online
Publication Date: 2004
This is the online version of The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians, the only comprehensive Music reference work in the world. It covers the history and cultures of Music around the globe in 29 volumes.
Grove Art Online
Publication Date: 2003
This is the online version of The Dictionary of Art
, the only comprehensive art reference work in the world. It covers all the visual arts from prehistory to the 1990’s in 34 volumes. This is also available online as Grove Art Online
Print Reference Books in the Library
Humanities and Fine Arts Librarian
Subjects: Art & Art History
, Cinema Studies
, Latin American Studies
Listed on this page are key reference resources that provide a general overview
of a topic or help identify synonyms, related terms, or basic data. These sources often include
references and lists of further readings.
Online Encyclopedias and More
Queer Art Reference Books