Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Listed on this page are key reference resources that provide a general overview of a topic or help identify synonyms, related terms, or basic data. These sources often include references and lists of further readings.
Online Fashion Encyclopedias
Online Encyclopedias and More
Oxford Reference Online
100 well-known and trusted dictionaries and reference books combined into a single cross-searchable web database.
The electronic version of the Encyclopaedia Britannica. An excellent starting point for almost any topic of research, the Britannica offers both concise descriptions, and longer, more comprehensive articles on a wide variety of topics.
Using the Hatfield Library during the Covid 19 Pandemic
Reference / Getting Research Help:
Circulation / Checking Out Books, DVDs, etc.:
- All items removed from the shelves, returned, or ordered via ILL or Summit will be quarantined for 72 hours before being available.
- Contactless check out will remain available for those that request it in the front vestibule. You may access the vestibule with your valid ID 24 hours/day.
Building Policies for Fall Semester 2020:
- The maximum occupancy of the Hatfield Library is 100 people.
- Access is restricted to current students, faculty, and staff.
- Bring your ID card. A card swipe is required for access.
- Water fountains have been shut down until further notice.
- Closed container beverages are permitted.
- Eating is not allowed.
- Masks are required.
- Seating is marked to encourage 6 feet of social distancing.
Want more information about the new changes?
Grove Dictionary of Art
The Grove Dictionary of Art by
Call Number: HAT 2d Floor Stacks N31 .D5 1996
Publication Date: 2003
The only comprehensive art reference work in the world. It covers all the visual arts from prehistory to the 1990’s in 34 volumes. This is also available online as Grove Art Online
Searching Tips for the Grove Dictionary of Art
- Try a search using the term Dress.
- Click on a subcategory that interests you.
- See if there is a book or article in the Bibliography that would be useful to you.
- Look in the library catalog for those books from the Bibliography.
- (Ask a librarian to help you find an article from the Bibliography)
- Click on the Links section for that article.
- Follow the links to different museums, and check out their online exhibits.
- Write down the terms you find to describe different periods, styles, articles of clothing, etc., throughout your whole searching process.
Humanities and Fine Arts Librarian
Subjects:Art & Art History
, Cinema Studies
, Latin American Studies
Hours during the Academic Year
Mon-Thur 9 a.m. -- 9 p.m.
Friday 9 a.m. -- 5 p.m.
Sunday 1 p.m. -- 9 p.m.
Mon-Thur 10 a.m. -- 5 p.m.
6 p.m. -- 9 p.m.
Friday 1 p.m. -- 4 p.m
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org for an appointment.
Note: The library is closed to the general public and open to students, faculty, and staff with current Willamette ID.
More calendar info...
Photography Reference Books