Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Online Encyclopedias and More
The electronic version of the Encyclopaedia Britannica. An excellent starting point for almost any topic of research, the Britannica offers both concise descriptions, and longer, more comprehensive articles on a wide variety of topics.
Listed on this page are key reference resources that provide a general overview of a topic or help identify synonyms, related terms, or basic data. These sources often include references and lists of further readings.
Grove Dictionary of Art
The Grove Dictionary of Art by
Call Number: HAT 2d Floor Stacks N31 .D5 1996
Publication Date: 2003
The only comprehensive art reference work in the world. It covers all the visual arts from prehistory to the 1990’s in 34 volumes. This is also available online as Grove Art Online
Searching Tips for the Grove Dictionary of Art
- Try a search using the term Dress.
- Click on a subcategory that interests you.
- See if there is a book or article in the Bibliography that would be useful to you.
- Look in the library catalog for those books from the Bibliography.
- (Ask a librarian to help you find an article from the Bibliography)
- Click on the Links section for that article.
- Follow the links to different museums, and check out their online exhibits.
- Write down the terms you find to describe different periods, styles, articles of clothing, etc., throughout your whole searching process.
Humanities and Fine Arts Librarian
Subjects:Art & Art History
, Asian Studies
, Cinema Studies
, German & Russian
, Languages & Linguistics
, Latin American Studies
, Religious Studies
Photography Reference Books