Diet and fitness are multi-billion dollar industries in the United States that are aiming to profit from America’s increasingly common sedentary lifestyle. With the bombardment of advertisements, blogs, and “expert” testimonials, it can be difficult to discern fact from fiction, science from pseudo-science. In order to evaluate these fantastic claims, this course will explore the impact of America’s physical inactivity and growing waistline on people’s personal health and well-being as well as the broader impact on the healthcare system and the welfare of society as a whole. Students will then investigate the “science” and psychology of diet fads, popular workouts, and popular weight loss programs in order to critique and, in some cases, debunk the alleged scientific foundation of modern snake oil remedies.
Source: College Colloquium Page
Subject librarians are here to help with your research!
- Show you the best places to begin your research.
- Help you develop effective search strategies.
- Locate the information you need within our library.
- Obtain books, articles, cds, etc. from other libraries.
- Find additional information from citation lists/bibliographies.
- Judge the quality & reliability of information.
- Use information ethically (e.g. plagiarism).
- Cite information correctly (e.g. APA style).
- Demonstrate how to use citation resources.
- Tell the difference between various literature types.
- Determine whether something is peer-reviewed.
Mon-Thur 7:45 a.m. -- 2 a.m.
Friday 7:45 a.m. -- 9 p.m.
Saturday 11 a.m -- 6 p.m.
Sunday 10 a.m. -- 2 a.m.
Mon-Wed 10 a.m. -- 5 p.m. / 6 p.m. -- 9 p.m.
Thursday 10 a.m. -- 5 p.m.
Friday 1 p.m. -- 4 p.m
Contact email@example.com for a research consultation.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for an appointment.
Mon - Fri 9 a.m. -- 12 p.m. / 1 p.m. -- 4 p.m.
Note: The library is closed to the general public at 9 p.m. Sunday through Thursday and at 5 p.m. Friday, Saturday and holidays. The library remains open to students, faculty, and staff with current Willamette ID.