If you are researching a national organization, then you may want to look for articles published in magazines that clearly have a nationwide circulation, and a national focus. In order to do a thorough search, you can conduct a simultaneous search of 3 magazine & journal oriented databases through Hatfield Library’s subscription to the family of "Ebsco" databases.
To conduct a joint search, first you need to log into one of the 3 participating databases from the Ebsco group, then move to top of the white section, and click on the blue text called "Choose Databases". Now you mark which databases you want, then click on the blue "continue" button at the top/bottom of the database selection screen, in order to be able to work with that combination of databases with a unified search strategy.
3 databases from the EBSCO company:
- Business Source Complete – mixture of trade magazines, professional magazines & academic business publications. Also provides access to SWOT analyses, industry reports and company reports. Hatfield Library recommends that for most business oriented topics, that you start off by searching the Business Source Premier database.
- Academic Search Complete – academic oriented magazines, with some overlap of popular sources, but this database does NOT cover business, nor economics.
- Master File Premier – popular magazines typically found in public libraries, or magazines oriented towards family & personal reading.
3 business databases that are broad spectrum in their range of focus:
- ABI Inform Collection – mixture of trade magazines, professional magazines & academic business publications. Also provides access to company reports, SWOT reports and industry reports. This database also includes a very large volume of documents that come from press releases or news wire services that are primarily promotional literature that have never been vetted by journalists. These sorts of press releases & wire service pieces can easily be mistaken for "articles", but they are subjective, favoring the corporate clients which paid for their distribution over the web.
- Business Market Research Collection – There are no journal articles & no newspaper articles in this database. This provides full text access to a mixture of company specific & industry specific analytic reports, with major emphasis on publicly traded firms. Some of these reports might focus on specific geographies within a particular industry. Some documents may be similar to SWOT reports but without using that particular nickname.
- Business Insights: Global – mixture of trade magazines, professional magazines & academic business publications. Also offers access to company reports, SWOT reports and industry reports compiled by Plunkett.
- Entrepreneurship / Gale Business – although this is primarily aimed at small sized for profit businesses, the vast majority of documents from this database are also very pertinent for non-profits.
List of OTHER BUSINESS oriented databases available from Hatfield Library - over 25 databases that are most frequently used by AGSM students.
List of ALL databases available from Hatfield Library - Over 240 databases organized either by Academic departments, or Alphabetically by brand name, or by Primary focus of each database (articles, videos, newspaper, etc)