Nielsen / Claritas Segmentation & Market Solutions (also known as "Claritas SMS") provides current estimates of consumer oriented information at either a National, State, Metropolitan or County level that can be laid out into an Excel spreadsheet, maps or charts, as you deem relevant for your needs. You can also create your own customized area of geographic concern by pulling together any combination of selected states, metro areas or individual counties.
Please note that Nielsen/Claritas SMS will NOT run smoothly on smartphones nor tablet devices. You should use either a desktop or laptop computer with a diagonal screen size of at least 11 inches for this database to be fully functional.
Some examples of the types of data that reside inside the NS&MS database include:.
- - basic demographic data (sex; age; race; income; education; occupation; language spoken at home; numbers of children within the household; year that a house was originally built; living in a college dorm or nursing home)
- - psychographic profiles (people who are price-value conscious; engages in ecofriendly activities; contributed to political causes; never votes in local elections; groceries are most often purchased at Walmart)
- - consumer attitudes (preference for organic foods VERSUS preference for local foods; level of interest in figure skating; movies are usually seen during their opening weekends)
- - media exposure (degree to which they watch television by cable VERSUS television watching via satellite service; watched the Emmy Awards on television; listened to Stanley Cup Playoffs on radio)
- - product/service usage (adults who frequently take domestic airline trips, VERSUS adults who frequently take airline trips outside of the United States; used a pest control service; recently used more than 4 different credit cards)
- - personal purchases/consumption (looking for any intersections between people who drink cognac AND households that own a hybrid vehicle; spent under $500 on home improvements in past 12 months)
- - lifestyle activities across the USA (adults who watched a stage show or concert at a casino VERSUS adults who attended an ice show at any venue; recently used a day spa; looking for a new job; plan on getting hybrid or electric vehicle)
Using a series of questions that lead you through pre-defined workflows, the NS&MS software guides you in creating customized reports for your unique marketing situations such as:
- - uncovering areas of opportunity within a specific geography
- - evaluating demographics to estimate the size of market potential
- - analyzing existing demand
- - creating density reports of a specific consumer characteristic
- - comparing locations for their similarities & differences of demographic/lifestyle/attitudes/media patterns.
Here are some examples of specific situations that are available from within this database:
- # of adults that have been actively gardening (flowers or vegetables)
- # of adults that have used quick service restaurants 10 or more times in the past 30 days
- # of adults who bought more than $500 of sports equipment in the past 12 months
- # of adults that own other pet (NOT a cat or a dog)
- # of adults that drank any domestic light beer in the past 30 days
- # of adults who used a smartphone in the past 30 days to to access movie listings either through an app or through the Internet
Here are some examples of data available that carry an amazing variety details and options:
- - Beverages: frequency & specific type or brands purchased or consumed: Waters / Alcoholic / Carbonated / Juices / Teas / Diets
- - Restaurants: frequency & specific type or brands used: Sit down / Quick service / Type of meals
- - Sports & Athletics: interest, attendance, ticket prices & apparel purchased: Individuals vs Teams / Participating vs Viewing
- - Automobiles: ownership or leasing / new or used / foreign or domestic / prices / model year / insurance provider / service & repair: Brands / Type of vehicle
- - Internet & Telecom: frequency of use / types of use / purchase prices / transaction activity: Devices owned & Services used
- - Retail Purchases: type of merchants / merchant's brand name / purchase frequencies / prices paid: Items in the home
- - Non-Local Travel: domestic & foreign / mode & brand of travel / lodgings / car rental / business & personal: Frequency & Brand names
Sadly, there are some types of consumer behaviors, activities & psychographics that are barely or never covered by this database:
- - Religion or Spirituality: monetary contributions are available, but there is no mention of Membership / Frequency of Attendance / Devotional reading / Level of participation / Volunteerism / Leadership roles
- - Clubs, Foundations, or other Volunteer Organizations: monetary contributions & personal solo activities are covered, but there is no mention of either local, national or international membership in groups oriented towards: Education or alumni / Professions / Research / Hobbies / Civic functions / Community events / Social service providers / Chambers of Commerce / Historical societies / Arts, culture or crafts / Event organizers / Fund raising volunteers / Scouting or outdoor activities / Fitness or exercise / Health, medicine or recovery / Pet or animal enthusiasts
- - Government service: employment is covered, but there is no mention of involvement with: Military service / Veterans groups / Elected officers or legislators / Volunteer service with police, fire, EMT or street cleaning
- - Use of Printed media: where people go to purchase books is covered, but there is no mention of frequency of use, reliance on nor money spent for other types of printed formats: Newspapers, Newsletters, Magazines, or Library usage
- - Food Planning & Preparation or Nutrition at Home: where people shop for food & beverage is covered; and beverage brands are covered, but there is no mention of how people prepare foods at home, and no mention of specific types of foods eaten or avoided at home: Baking / Cooking / Roasting / BBQ / Vegetables / Fruit / Dairy Meat / Seafood / Snacks / Natural foods / Additives / Organic foods / Processed vs Unprocessed / Pre-cooked vs Cooked from scratch / Food sensitivities / Dietary needs / Nutritional concerns / Nutritional supplements
- - Sexual activities, erotica or pornography: there simply is no mention of anything to do with any type of sex, eroticism or pornography within this database.
- - Marijuana: cultivation of plants would be invisibly located under "gardening", but there is no mention of either medical nor recreational use
The thousands of different questions that are contained within NS&MS actually come from 3 different sources. The database is designed for you to enter a keyword about your concern, and you will be offered a variety of questions to use, based on the EXACT words that you type.
- This query system has some benefits, as well as creating some problems. If you want to glance at one batch of 3,900 questions used by this database, then you need to click here to open up an Excel spreadsheet showing you the full text of each question from one particular source:, what category each question is under, and whether the data is compiled at the Adult level, or at the Household level. Unfortunately, Claritas/Nielsen does not currently offer a spreadsheet version showing all of the questions covered by this database.
- - Claritas/Kantar Media/SRDS/Nielsen does offer a toll free phone number for technical support #800-866-6511. If you contact them, please explain that you are a student at Willamette University based in Salem, Oregon.